Heating and cooking appliances fuelled by gas, coal, smokeless fuels, wood or oil can cause CO poisoning.
- Fit a Carbon Monoxide detector in all rooms containing gas or paraffin heaters
- Gas boilers and appliances should be serviced once a year by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Visit www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500. You should also fit a Carbon Monoxide detector in your home
- Ensure rooms with fuel burning appliances or boilers are properly ventilated
- Never block air bricks or vents
- Never block the outside grill of the flue
CO poisoning kills people. It can also damage your health permanently. Beware of poisioning symptoms:
What to do if you suspect Carbon Monoxide is present:
- Turn off gas
- Turn off appliances
- Open windows
- Get everyone to exit the house
- Call emergency services or the Gas Emergency Number 0800 111
- If feeling unwell, seek medical attention
You can find out more information regarding Carbon Monoxide, to make sure your not at risk from CO poisoning:
CoAwareness is a charity which provides support to those poisoned by carbon monoxide and raise awareness about the dangers.
Gas Safe Charity provide information and support; facilitate awareness and funding; work with charities and other organisations already trusted to go into people’s homes; and deliver practical and preventative guidance.